MOE Student Responsibilities

We wish all of you a very happy time and successful years wherever you are in the United States.

New Students: Documents to be sent to the Cultural Division

Each new student is responsible to submit to his/her Academic Advisor at the Cultural Division upon arrival to the U.S. the following:

  • Bank account number and routing number for salary to be wired directly into the account. You need to open a bank account with a local or convenient bank and provide your Academic Advisor with a voided personal check to allow for the Electronic Funds Transfer directly in the student’s bank account. Emails with the information typed in manually are discouraged for security and accuracy reasons.
  • Arrival documents:
    • Copy of your I-94
    • Copy of your I-20
    • Copy of your Passport Biographical Page
    • Copy of your Visa Page
  • Local address, phone number, and email address. You are also responsible for notifying your Scholarship Academic Advisor and International Student Advisor at the university of any changes in contact information within ten (10) days of the change in accordance with SEVIS regulation. If any correspondence or checks need to be mailed to you, they will be sent to the last address that you provided to the Cultural Division.

Please note that your Scholarship Academic Advisor will provide you with some necessary forms for you to fill out and return to him/her.

Commitment to the field of study and the country assigned by MOE

Each MOE scholarship holder is committed to his/her assigned field of study, university, country and duration of study as per his/her decree.

If a student wants to change his/her field of study, university, country and duration of study, this requires the approval of MOE before any change.

Academic Study Plan

Submit your Academic Study Plan, signed by your university advisor, to your Academic Advisor notlater than your third academic semester or quarter.

The Academic Study Plan is an advising tool and provides an overview of which courses you need to take and when you want to take them. The Academic Study Plan is not a contract – you can change it at any time – but it does assist you to plan your course schedule and the expected graduation date.

You must complete your Academic Study Plan in consultation with the appropriate university official, e.g. Department Head, University Advisor and your Scholarship Academic Advisor. You will need to meet regularly with the relevant university official to discuss your specific plan of study to meet graduation requirements. The Academic Study Plan must bear at least the university official signature, your signature, your field of study and anticipated date of graduation.


Submit your completed, Registration for each term (Semester, Quarter) to your Academic Advisor at the beginning of each term. You must provide the Cultural Division with the registration no later than the end of the Add/Drop period.

Register for the term you will be in as a fulltime student according to your Academic Study Plan and registering them during the period of registration.

Take Minimum Credit Hours Required

You MUST register for the minimum credit hours required for the term you will be in according to the academic system of the university or college except during the period of writing the master or doctoral dissertation.

The US immigration rules and regulations policy requirements dictate that an undergraduate student is not allowed to register for less than 12 credits per term. Graduate student registrations are determined by the university. If for any reason you intend to drop certain credits, you should get a written approval from both your University or College Academic Advisor and your Scholarship Academic Advisor.

Not registering the minimum credit hours will render the residency of a student in the US illegal which may expose him/her to penalties such as detention or deportation.

Add/Drop Period

You MUST NOT withdraw from any courses that you have already registered for unless it is during the Add/Drop period that the university specified. You must be committed to the courses you selected for each semester or quarter.

You may be responsible for the payment of the tuition fees of the courses you added or dropped without approval from your Scholarship Academic Advisor and for courses that are not included in your Academic Study Plan.

Official Transcript

Submit your Transcript to your Scholarship Academic Advisor at the end of each term (Semester, Quarter). Delay in sending your transcript in the specified period will result interm holding your monthly stipend and may lead to the termination of the scholarship.

The transcript should include course grades, cumulative grade point average (CGPA) and term GPA.

Travel Plan

Notify your Scholarship Academic Advisor of any travel plans outside the location of study, either for trips to other places or return trips to the UAE. Provide a copy of your I-94 upon your return to the US.

Contact with your Academic Advisor

Your Scholarship Academic Advisor at the Cultural Division is available to provide information, advice and assistance to you. You may consult him/her for assistance on concerns regarding academic and personal matters that may arise before departure, upon arrival, and throughout the duration of your scholarship program in the US. S/he may be reached at (202) 243-4444 during regular office hours from 9:00am to 4:00pm Eastern Standard Time from Monday to Friday. In the event of emergencies beyond those hours, you are asked to use the Emergency Contact number posted instead.

Billing Inquiry

For billing and reimbursement inquiries, please contact our Office at (202) 243-4444 during regular office hours from 9:00am to 4:00pm Eastern Standard Time from Monday to Friday.

Ministry of Education (MOE)MOE Scholarship Program Information & RegulationsMOE Student Financial BenefitsMOE Medical, Dental, and Vision CoverageMOE ReimbursementsMOE Airline Tickets